Mainstreet Cyber Security Act, a set of guidelines that small business can use to protect themselves from cyber-attacks was past in September, 2017. This requires that NIST (National Institute of Standards and Technology), provide simple guidelines and resources for small businesses to use to protect themselves from cyber-attack. Since 95% of all businesses in the United States are small enterprises (SMEs: That is organizations with up to 500 employees), and provide 50% of GNP it is vital to the health and well-being of our country that SMEs are well protected.
In response, NIST has published NISTIR 7621, Small Business Information Security: The Fundamentals . This report includes well defined guidelines for safeguarding your company’s information, such as:
- Identify and control who has access to your business information
- Protect your data by limiting employee access to data and information
- Detect threats by installing and updating anti-virus, anti-spyware, and other anti-malware programs
- Respond by having a plan for disasters and security incidents
- Recover by having backups of important information as well as a business continuity solution in place in the likelihood you have an information security incident.
We’re here to help. Call us today for your free 30-minute cyber security consultation.